Huevos rancheros is the king of all breakfasts, and it is on a par with a full English. A personal favourite of mine, this dish is perfect for a lazy Saturday morning when last night´s antics have got the better of you. Originally a Mexican recipe, Huevos rancheros have been adapted over the years to suit the tastebuds of people all across the world. Also, a nice touch is to shape your tortilla like a bowl and then serve the delicious salsa and egg inside the bowl. This is how I make my huevos rancheros:
4 tortilla wraps (I prefer the corn ones)
2tbs Olive Oil
2 large onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 400g tin black beans
1tsp Ground Cumin
1tsp Cayenne Pepper
Sprinkle of Chilli Flakes
Salt and Pepper to season
If you are shaping the tortillas to make bowls, you will need a muffin tin and an oven preheated to 180 degrees
1) In a saucepan, heat 1tbs olive oil in a pan and then add 1 of the diced onions and fry until it is soft. Next, add in one clove of crushed garlic and stir gently.
2) Add the chopped tomatoes and heat through before adding the cumin, cayenne pepper and chilli flakes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside
3) In a separate pan, heat 1tbs Olive Oil and add the remaining onion, frying it until it is soft. Add in the crushed garlic.
4) Drain the black beans, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Add them to the pan and with a wooden spoon, break the beans down into a paste, leaving some beans whole.
5) Season the black beans with salt and pepper and add more water if the mixture looks a little dry. Set aside
6) In a frying pan, heat some oil and fry the eggs to suit your taste. I like to crack the yolk and fry it so that it doesn’t run, however others may prefer a runny yolk. Whilst this is happening, warm through your tortilla wraps. If you are shaping them into bowls, you will need to use an upturned muffin tray and place the wraps between the muffin holders. Place them into a preheated oven for 5-6 minutes.
7) Place your tortillas on plates and layer up the tomato sauce, black beans (frijoles) and fried eggs. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.